Admissions Policies and Procedures
St. Thomas the Apostle School Admissions Policy and Procedures
St. Thomas the Apostle is open to all students regardless of race, ethnic origin, or religious affiliation. We offer a rigorous learning program for students with average to above average abilities. Because the school does not receive federal or state funding to assist with special education expenses, we are able to provide only limited direct services for students with diagnosed disabilities.
Admissions are processed between the last Monday in January and the second Friday in December. For the 2019-20 school year, that is January 28, 2019 – December 13, 2019.
We highly value classroom size and children learning in a nurturing, comfortable environment with minimal disruptions. Because of this, admissions for 2019-20 will be CLOSED after the second Friday in December (Dec. 13, 2019). All admissions requirements, such as, parent tours, student shadow, and submission of application are required to be completed and turned in no later than the second Friday of December. We urge interested families to begin the admissions process in a timely manner.
Families interested in information regarding St. Thomas the Apostle School should sign up for a tour and shadow time for their child or contact our Admissions Coordinator, Tareema Jean-Baptiste: email@example.com.
For All Students:
Age Requirements (in accordance with Illinois State Board of Education requirements):
- Pre-K 3 students must be 3 years old by September 1st and fully toilet trained
- Pre-K 4 students must be 4 years old by September 1st and fully toilet trained
- Kindergarten students must be 5 years old by September 1st
- First Grade students must be 6 years old by September 1st
*Ages are by September 1st of the school year in which the student is being enrolled.
For New Students:
The following records are required for a child to enter St. Thomas the Apostle School:
- Birth certificate
- Baptismal certificate for those who are Catholic
- Health records (Students must meet state requirements regarding immunization policies before and during their time of attendance at STA.)
- Academic records for children entering grades 1 – 8 (Most recent report cards and standardized test scores if applicable)
Pre-Kindergarten students must be able to feed and dress themselves, be toilet-trained and able to follow simple directions.
Kindergarten students are required to have knowledge of basic colors, numbers, the alphabet, fine and gross motor skills, listening skills, social skills, and the ability to follow directions.
Students entering Kindergarten through grade 8 are required to have their records and recommendations reviewed by the principal. Students in grades 5-8 are usually interviewed by the principal prior to acceptance.
For Returning Students:
All returning families must complete the online registration form that is sent out at the start of Catholic Schools Week, make registration payments, and have current health records on file in order to re-enroll at St. Thomas the Apostle School. A spot is NOT guaranteed for any student until these steps have been taken.
St. Thomas the Apostle’s admissions process consists of the following steps: Application (includes tour and shadow), Acceptance and Registration.
- Visit and Shadow We ask that families come to St. Thomas and tour the school and that students shadow a classroom prior to applying. Shadow days are a great opportunity for students to experience life as an STA student.
- Complete theSt. Thomas the Apostle School Application and submit to the main office.
- Recommendation Forms St. Thomas the Apostle will reach out to your child’s current school for a letter of recommendation from their current teacher or principal. You must provide address information.
- Parent Interview The principal may request an interview after the application has been reviewed.
- Records and Documents Provide original or certified copy of your child’s birth certificate, latest report card, latest standardized test scores (if applicable… for example, ISAT, ASPIRE, or NWEA MAP), and baptismal certificate if the child is Catholic.
All required application documents must be submitted before a decision on acceptance can be made.
Please note: Families are only able to apply for financial aid after completing the application process and receiving notice of acceptance.
- Review Once the application process is complete, school administration will review your child’s application file. Siblings of currently enrolled students are given priority in the registration process.
- Notification of Acceptance Families receive a formal letter of acceptance and an e-mail from St. Thomas the Apostle School. This letter and e-mail will include important registration information.
- Registration Families will receive a link to the on-line registration form via e-mail at the time of acceptance. This form must be completed and submitted along with Registration and Material Fees and required medical documents in order to secure the child’s enrollment. A spot can only be secured if all materials are submitted by the date indicated at the time of registration.
Enrollment is not finalized until all documents and fees are submitted. We urge families to complete the process as soon as possible to secure enrollment.
1. Complete On-Line Registration Form – Submit the completed on-line registration as soon as possible to guarantee your child’s spot. We will accept registrations after the indicated date based on availability. The link to the form will be sent to you upon acceptance.
2. Immunization/Physical Examination Form– This will be e-mailed to you as an attachment. Complete both pages of the form. It must be signed on both sides by a physician. Parents complete the “Health History” section and sign. Then, you can scan it and e-mail it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or turn it into the school office. Dental and Vision Exam Forms are required for all K-8 NEW students. Please be sure the dentist signs and dates this form. This will also be sent as an attachment via e-mail. Once it is completed, scan it and e-mail it back to email@example.com or turn it into the school office.
3. Register on FACTS– Register on FACTS Tuition Management System at: https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/41YRC
4. Payment– Families who are new to St. Thomas the Apostle School, will need to make their registration and materials fee payment in the school office as soon as possible to guarantee their spot.
5. Receive a tuition and payment schedule– The first tuition payment should be made within the first two weeks of the school year.
6. All new families are required to attend a New Parent Meeting prior to the start of the school year. This year, the meeting is on Tuesday, August 13, 2019.
Registration is final ONLY when all completed documents and initial payments are received.
PLEASE NOTE: Families intending to register their child(ren) to attend the first day of school for the 2019-20 school year (Aug. 19th) must complete registration by 12:00 NOON on Friday, August 16th. Families registering their child(ren) on or after the first day of school must complete registration by 12:00 NOON in order for their child to start school the following school day.
(Examples: If a parent completes registration on Tuesday, August 20th at 10:00 am, then their child(ren) may have their first day of school on Wednesday, August 21st. If a parent completes registration on Tuesday, August 20th at 3:00 pm (or anytime after 12:00 NOON), then the child(ren) may have their first day of school on Thursday, August 22nd. This ensures that teachers are prepared for your child(ren) on their first day of school).