Admissions Policies and Procedures
St. Thomas the Apostle School Admissions Policy and Procedures
St. Thomas the Apostle is open to all students regardless of race, ethnic origin, or religious affiliation. We offer a rigorous learning program for students with average to above average abilities. Because the school does not receive federal or state funding to assist with special education expenses, we are able to provide only limited direct services for students with diagnosed disabilities.
Families interested in information regarding St. Thomas the Apostle School should sign up for a tour and shadow time for their child or contact our Admissions Coordinator, Tareema Jean-Baptiste: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For All Students:
Age Requirements (in accordance with Illinois State Board of Education requirements):
- Pre-K 3 students must be 3 years old by September 1st and fully toilet trained
- Pre-K 4 students must be 4 years old by September 1st and fully toilet trained
- Kindergarten students must be 5 years old by September 1st
- First Grade students must be 6 years old by September 1st
*Ages are by September 1st of the school year in which the student is being enrolled.
For New Students:
The following records are required for a child to enter St. Thomas the Apostle School:
- Birth certificate
- Baptismal certificate for those who are Catholic
- Health records (Students must meet state requirements regarding immunization policies before and during their time of attendance at STA.)
- Academic records for children entering grades 1 – 8 (Most recent report cards and standardized test scores if applicable)
Pre-Kindergarten students must be able to feed and dress themselves, be toilet-trained and able to follow simple directions.
Kindergarten students are required to have knowledge of basic colors, numbers, the alphabet, fine and gross motor skills, listening skills, social skills, and the ability to follow directions.
Students entering Kindergarten through grade 8 are required to have their records and recommendations reviewed by the principal. Students in grades 5-8 may be interviewed by the principal prior to acceptance.
For Returning Students:
All returning families must complete the online registration form that is sent out at the start of Catholic Schools Week, make registration payments, and have current health records on file in order to re-enroll at St. Thomas the Apostle School. A spot is NOT guaranteed for any student until these steps have been taken.
St. Thomas the Apostle’s admissions process consists of the following steps: Application (includes tour and shadow), Acceptance and Registration.
- Visit and Shadow We ask that families come to St. Thomas and tour the school and that students shadow a classroom prior to applying. Shadow days are a great opportunity for students to experience life as an STA student.
- Complete the St. Thomas the Apostle School Application and submit to the main office.
- Records and Documents Provide original or certified copy of your child’s birth certificate, latest report card, latest standardized test scores (if applicable… for example, ISAT, ASPIRE, or NWEA MAP), and baptismal certificate if the child is Catholic.
- Recommendation Forms St. Thomas the Apostle will reach out to your child’s current school for a letter of recommendation from their current teacher or principal. You must provide address information.
- Parent Interview The principal may request an interview after the application has been reviewed.
All required application documents must be submitted before a decision on acceptance can be made.
- Review Once the application process is complete, school administration will review your child’s application file. Siblings of currently enrolled students are given priority in the registration process.
- Notification of Acceptance Families receive an e-mail from St. Thomas the Apostle School. This e-mail will include important registration information.
1. Complete On-Line Registration Form – Submit the completed on-line registration form as soon as possible to guarantee your child’s spot. We will accept registrations after the indicated date based on availability. The link to the form will be sent to you upon acceptance.
2. Submit Required Medical Forms — All forms will be e-mailed to you as attachments in your acceptance e-mail. All forms should be scanned and returned via e-mail to email@example.com or turned in to the school office.
- Certificate of Child Health Examination Form – Complete both pages of the form. It must be signed on both sides by a physician. Parents complete the “Health History” section and sign.
- Medication Authorization Form – Required for all NEW PK – 8 students who take medication during the school day.
- Dental Exam Form – Required for NEW PK – 8 students. Please be sure the dentist signs and dates this form.
- Vision Screening/Exam Form – Vision screening or exam is required for NEW PK students and vision exam is required for NEW K – 8 students.
3. Payment– Families who are new to St. Thomas the Apostle School, will need to make their registration and materials fee payment in the school office as soon as possible to guarantee their spot.
4. Register on FACTS– Register on FACTS Tuition Management System at: https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/41YRC. Then, set-up a tuition and payment schedule. The first tuition payment should be made within the first two weeks of the school year.
5. All new families are required to attend a New Parent Orientation prior to the start of the school year.
Registration is final ONLY when all completed documents and initial payments are received.
Enrollment is not finalized until all documents and fees are submitted. We urge families to complete the process as soon as possible to guarantee enrollment.
Enrollment for the 2019-20 school year will close on March 20, 2020. Families intending for their children to enroll during the 2019-20 school year should be sure to submit all registration materials by 12:00 NOON the day prior to the day they wish their child to have his/her first day of school.